[toc]At the end of the month, PokerStars will invade the Jersey Shore and unveil its newly-branded tournament series.
The inaugural event, PokerStars Festival New Jersey, will take place at Resorts Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City.
This will be the first US-based tournament series PokerStars has hosted in more than five years.
The last one was in April 2011, when the PokerStars North American Poker Tour came to an abrupt end following a stop at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. The PokerStars NAPT was suspended just a couple of days later, midway through Season Two, a casualty of Black Friday.
In an effort to make its US return memorable and launch the newly-branded Festival and Championship tournament brands with a bang, the PokerStars Festival New Jersey has a number of interesting and unique features for participants and fans alike.
Forty poker tournaments in just seven days
Including satellites to larger events, and the 36-player FlipOut Tournaments, the festival will feature 40 tournaments.
The key events on the schedule are:
- A two-day, $2,000+$200 6-Max No Limit Holdem event on Oct. 30 and 31.
- The two-day PokerStars Cup tournament with a $300+$40 buy-in. The tournament begins on Oct. 30.
- A two-day, $5,000+$300, 8-handed No Limit Holdem tournament on Nov. 2 and 3.
- PokerStars Festival High Roller. An 8-handed No Limit Holdem tournament with a $2,000+$200 buy-in. The tournament begins on Nov. 4.
- A $3,000+$300 Deepstacks event that will take place over two days, Nov. 5 and 6.
- The PokerStars Festival New Jersey Main Event. A four-day, $1,000+$100 buy-in event with starting flights on Nov. 1 and 2.
There is also a chess/poker hybrid event on the schedule. The tournament will take place on the final day of the series (Nov. 6).
Here’s how it works: Each player will participate in five chess matches, and for each victory they will receive an additional 2,000 chips in the poker tournament.
The full schedule for the series can be seen here.
The series will also feature a number of non-poker events.
StarsFun Skills Zone
From Oct. 31 through Nov. 4, PokerStars and Resorts have created a FunZone, where tournament participants and fans can take part in the following contests:
- Miniature Golf Hole-in-One Progressive
- Hoops Fever Progressive
- Pinball Progressive
Each event will award cash prizes.
There will also be free-play games available, ranging from table tennis, air hockey, and foosball, to cornhole and darts.
StarsFun Casino Festival
From Oct. 30 through Nov. 6 the PokerStars Festival New Jersey will feature a number of casino game tournaments, with a yet-to-be-revealed twist.
The brand new PokerStars Casino Festival will feature what PokerStars is calling “an innovative take on traditional blackjack, roulette, video poker and slot tournaments.”
On Nov. 5, Team PokerStars Pro and Twitch sensation Jason Somerville will be in town for RunItUp Day.
Somerville will host a poker seminar and Q&A session, and the tournament area will feature two RunItUp-specific tournaments:
- $300+$40 Run It Up 8 Game Championship
- $3,000 Run It Up Survivor Tournament
On Festival Eve, Saturday, Oct. 29, PokerStars will host a welcome reception with complimentary food and beverages available from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
There will also be an “OnLive” Freeroll to the Main Event, which is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. This satellite is only available to players attending the reception.
“Get your first taste of our tournament room inside Resorts’ Ocean Ballroom alongside big names like Jason Mercier, Chris Moneymaker, Barry Greenstein and many more. You can also beat the queues and sign-up for your new PSLive card, required for registration to all PokerStars sponsored live events.”
To play in the OnLive Freeroll you must:
- Have a valid/active PokerStarsNJ account.
- Sign up for a PSLive Card — Players will also be able to sign up for the PSLive Card at the welcome reception. Players who already have PSLive Cards are also eligible; just make sure to bring it with you the night of the Freeroll, or request a new card from our on-site registrations team.
- Be physically present at Resorts Casino Hotel to both play and win.
- Bring a mobile device or laptop pre-installed with PokerStarsNJ software — PokerStars and Resorts will not supply mobile devices or laptops.
Small NJCOOP overlap
PokerStars Festival New Jersey will take place from Oct. 29 through Nov. 6, creating a slight overlap with the inaugural NJCOOP online tournament series PokerStars is running.
The NJCOOP is a two-week series, running from Oct. 15-30.
The slight overlap between the two series should help attendance on both fronts, with players coming into town for the festival playing in the final events of the NJCOOP. Players in town to play the NJCOOP may also stick around a few extra days to play some festival events.