Ever since the release of the Starburst slot, there has been a clamor for similar types of games and as such, it is easy to see where the Starmania slot gets its inspiration.
There are many similarities between the two slots, but also some subtle differences that ensures the games look and feel very different. Let’s take a look at how Starmania shapes up when compared to some of the best NJ online slots.
One of the most appealing aspects of the Starburst slot was that it offers two ways to win, left to right as standard on a slot, but also right to left. This is one of the main features of that slot and it is good to see that Starmania has the same feature – and that the feature is as rewarding to players as it is in Starburst.
This is a typical 5×3 slot, but with a space age theme and some, let’s just say unusual, patterns acting as symbols on the reels.
The game also boasts easy to recognize in game Wilds and a Bonus symbol, which acts as the scatter and when you land three or more of these across the reels, you earn 10 free spins.
With 10 paylines, you can wager from $0.20 up to a maximum bet of $40.00.
Who will the Starmania slot appeal to?
This is a modern style of slot without reels as such (although the symbols still play as reels) and with a space-age theme.
So if that is something you enjoy as a NJ slot gamer, then you’ll like what Starmania has to offer. Fans of the Starburst slot will also be very tempted to give the slot a try given the similarities between the two.
Although it looks a space age slot, Starmania is actually very simple to play and easy to understand. It can also be played relatively cheaply.
As such, this is a slot that more inexperienced slot players, or those with smaller bankrolls can easily afford to play, while the slot still offers enough to ensure more experienced slot players remain interested in what is happening on screen.
The Autoplay feature is also available and the spin button also turns into a stop button just after the symbols start moving, mean you can play at a faster pace if you prefer.
With its galactic backdrop and space-age music playing in the background, you are instantly whisked into the ether with Starmania, but it isn’t long before we hit our first Apollo 13 “Houston, we have a problem” moment.
Although there are a mix of high and low star symbols on the reels, the symbols are all just too similar. It is hard to differentiate at a glance between what is a good win, and what is not a win at all. A number of times I saw the reels fall, expected to hear the music chiming for a big win, and nothing happened.
Of course, you can trust to the machine to pick up all your wins, but it does diminish the excitement when you cannot obviously identify when you have won on a payline and when you have not.
With lines winning both ways, left to right and right to left, you do win relatively frequently on the slot. While most are smaller wins, there is the occasional bigger win which helps keeps your bank balance topped up.
The in game Wild symbol is stacked and can replace any high or low symbol to help create a winning payline and the more Wilds you land across the reels, the more chance you have of hitting a bigger win.
Special features: Starmania
- Stacked Wilds – These are available across the reels and can be very useful for creating multiple winning lines, especially when two or more are landed on a single spin.
- Bonus Scatter – The bonus scatter symbol awards ten free spins when you land three or more across the reels. During free spins, you get A Wild added to reels 2, and 4 before each spin for a total of 30 extra wilds across the reels, you can also retrigger free spins from within the bonus round.
- Gamble – Any win on the Starmania game can be gambled by clicking on the Gamble button when highlighted. This is a simple prediction game where you must predict the color (to double your money) or suit (to quadruple your win) in order to win the bonus.
- Space age theme – Starmania looks and sounds fantastic and very space age. The designers certainly captured the look and feel of the slot quite beautifully.
- Pays both ways – The fact you can win both left to right and right to left adds a huge amount to any slot and Starmania is no different. In effect it feels like you get two chances to win on every spin and very few slots offer this.
- Nice mix of wins – Both in the base game and free spins you do get a nice mix of wins, which ensures that Starmania isn’t a hugely expensive game to play. Definitely a lower to medium variance slot for fans to enjoy.
- Symbols – The symbols on the reels are just too similar and at a glance it is difficult to ascertain whether you have a win visually. Too many symbols of almost the same shape and color don’t really work.
- Small Jackpot – With a maximum win of 4,600 coins, this isn’t a slot that is going to send you racing to tell friends about the big jackpot available.
- Excitement Level – I would say Starmania is a solid game but one that loses its sparkle when you play it for a while. Not enough happens in the slot to want you to keep playing for too long.
Starmania Slot Review
User Review( votes)
Graphics and soundtrack 4/5
This is where Starmania scores well. The graphics may look a little retro on the opening screen, but when in the game the sounds and images merge beautifully to create a space-scape backdrop perfect for the slot.
Originality and creativity 1.5/5
This is essentially a reworking of the Starburst slot in terms of theme and paying both ways on the reels. As such, even adding a few original touches means we can’t really say this slot is bursting with originality.
Play value 4/5
Given that this is a low-volatility slot, you can enjoy a healthy session on the reels here and it won’t cost you the earth, so in terms of value, it scores well.
Jackpot potential 1/5
As a result of the good play value, something has to be compromised and that is the jackpot, which is very small.
Repeat play 2.5/5
There isn’t quite enough in the slot to make you want to come back and play time and time again, but the looks and the fact you win smaller amounts often means it is a game you will return to sporadically.
Total score 13/25
Starmania is a solid slot that plays well enough, but it just lacks the ‘wow’ factor of other similar slots New Jersey online casinos offer. And with a small jackpot, it is not quite the supernova hit the designers no doubt wanted it to be.