SugarHouse Casino (PlaySugarHouse.com) is the latest NJfor online casino to enter the fold, launching quietly in September 2016. It becomes the third online casino to make use of the Golden Nugget’s online gambling license, joining Golden Nugget Casino and Betfair Casino.
Rush Street Interactive NJ operates the online casino, which shares the same name as its brick-and mortar casino located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It launched with an impressive 227 titles, spread across online slots, video poker, and table games, as well as a free bonus bingo game.
SugarHouse may be entering a mature and saturated NJ online casino industry, but the combination of its stellar proprietary platform, creative take on bonuses, extensive game library, and ties to industry leading Golden Nugget, give the newcomer more than a fighting chance to establish a foothold in the market.
SugarHouse Online Casino Review
- Casino Bonus
- Game Selection
The newly-launched SugarHouse online casino operates under the Golden Nugget’s New Jersey online gambling license. With a healthy selection of online slots titles, a mobile app, and a unique, variable new player bonus, it is worth a look, especially for those who like their NJ casino bonuses to be the easy-to-clear type.
SugarHouse is operated by Rush Street Interactive, and is associated with the land-based casino of the same name located in Philadelphia, PA. Rush Street Gaming operates the Rivers Casino properties in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
PlaySugarHouse.com NJ signup bonus week of October 17, 2017
Up to $20 free
SugarHouse offers a variable no deposit bonus. In order to qualify for this bonus, players must first register a verified account with the site.
Then, they’ll be whisked away to the site’s Prize Wheel screen, where they’ll receive one spin. New players are guaranteed to win at least $10 in bonus dollars, and as much as $20.
Bonus money is subject to a low 1x wagering requirement. Upon meeting these requirements, the funds convert to cash, and can be withdrawn. Players that prefer to store their bonus money for a rainy day, will have that option, as SugarHouse has integrated a Bonus Bank as part of its online casino offering.
Only wagers placed playing slots and video poker will count towards meeting release requirements.
100 percent match on deposits up to $100
Players that use the promotional code 100MATCH when making a first deposit will receive a deposit match of 100 percent up to $100. In order to take full advantage of this offer, players are encouraged to deposit $100.
From the time of registration, players will have 14 days to capitalize upon this offer. Like the no deposit bonus, the welcome bonus is subject to a low 1x turnover requirement on slots and video poker.
It’s up to players whether they want to activate the bonus immediately or bank it, but it’s worth noting that the bonus funds will expire if not activated and played through within 30 days.
Last verified: November 7, 2017
Ongoing short-term promotions
– Bingo This Thanksgiving (November 23-26, 2017): get up to 7 tokens to special Bingo games by making a $25-$100 deposit from Thursday to Sunday. Be among the first players to claim BINGO and win up to $30 in bonus cash.
– King Cash’s Jackpot Sweepstakes (throughout November 2017): earn 5 iRush Rewards Loyalty Points to participate in a cash sweepstakes. The number of entries per player is unlimited, and the size of the jackpot will depend on the amount of total bets made by all PlaySugarHouse patrons throughout the month.
– $10,000 Haunted Hunt (October 27-31, 2017): earn scratch cards by accumulating loyalty points and see what Halloween-themed icon lies underneath. Receive your share of a $10,000 prize pool by collecting all four available icons.
– Bonus Boost (expires on October 22, 2017): make a deposit using promo code BOOST to receive a 10% bonus, capped at $10. Place real money wagers on that same day and if you earn at least 100 loyalty points, you’ll be awarded with an additional bonus or a bonus multiplier.
– Daily seasonal sweeps (throughout October 2017): players will receive a bonus of between $5 and $15 or a $500 sweepstakes entry for every day of October that they log into their account and earn at least one Loyalty Point. Out of all sweepstakes participants, a total of 20 players will receive a $25 bonus each.
Additionally, players who manage to earn at least 20 sweepstakes entries throughout October will be entered into the grand sweepstakes, which will award a $100 bonus to 10 lucky players.
SugarHouse online casino platform
SugarHouse Casino took a unique angle with its online casino platform, launching with a product that shares some similarities to a video game console lobby.
Despite all the added flash, the platform delivers when it comes to responsiveness and functionality.
SugarHouse Casino software
The SugarHouse Casino platform is powered by Rush Street Interactive. The operator acts as the online division of Rush Street Gaming, which itself owns and operates several land-based casinos, including SugarHouse Casino in Pennsylvania.
There are currently two primary ways to access the platform:
For players that prefer the full SugarHouse Casino experience, playing from a PC or a Mac will be their best bet.
The online casino is accessible via a number of modern browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla FireFox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
A compact version of the client is available for iOS and Android-powered mobile devices.
The Android version of the application is accessible from the online casino site. Its iOS counterpart can be downloaded from either the online casino site or the iTunes store. Note, that in order to use the iOS version, your device must support iOS 8.4 or later.
Players must be physically located within the state of New Jersey to play real-money games on SugarHouse Casino.
Mobile play on SugarHouse Casino
The SugarHouse Casino mobile app is a strong, well-polished piece of software, supporting many of the same games, account management, and quality of life features found on the main online casino site.
From the application’s main menu, players can access promotions, their rewards status page, the help center (including live chat support), and the full cashier. They can also view and edit their account details and preferences.
Access to nearly all of this functionality is less than three clicks away from the casino lobby.
Speaking of the casino lobby, mobile game selection is an area where SugarHouse Casino really makes the grade. Unlike most NJ online casino mobile apps, that support a few dozen games, 235 of SugarHouse’s games have made the transition to mobile. And that’s just at launch.
Those who dread navigating long lists of games in search of their favorite titles are in luck, as the app features a variety of game filters, including ones that allow players to filter by game type and game provider. They can also sort games by one of five parameters.
And just as they can from the desktop client, players can try before they buy, thanks to demo mode.
For the most part, games run as smoothly on mobile as they do from the main site. However, there were a couple of instances where we did experience minor hangups.
Crashes, however, were not a persistent issue.
In short, the SugarHouse Casino mobile app comes closer than any NJ online casino app we’ve seen to emulating the full desktop experience.
SugarHouse Casino operates under the Golden Nugget AC online gambling license. Its entry into the NJ online casino arena brings the total number of casinos under the GN license up to three.
The land-based Golden Nugget is a relative newcomer to Atlantic City, at least in its present form.
In 2011, Landry’s Inc., which acts as the owner and operator of other Golden Nugget properties, purchased the Trump Marina. The struggling casino was renovated and rebranded as the Golden Nugget, reopening its doors to the masses in 2012.
The casino is in the Marina District alongside Harrah’s and the Borgata, and has carved out a sizable niche in Atlantic City’s brick-and0mortar casino industry. But it’s in the online department that the Golden Nugget has really begun to shine.
When PlaySugarHouse.com entered the picture in September 2016, the Golden Nugget’s online division was already the top earner in the industry. Its presence will undoubtedly tip the scales even more in the operator’s direction.
Rush Street Interactive, an affiliate of Rush Street Gaming, provides the SugarHouse Casino platform. The latter owns and operators the land-based SugarHouse Casino in Pennsylvania, as well as three other casinos in the northeastern US — including Rivers Casino.
Game selection at SugarHouse Casino
At launch, SugarHouse Casino came stocked with over 200 online slots, seven tables games and six video poker variants.
That immediately vaulted the casino past roughly two-thirds of existing NJ online casinos in terms of game library size.
In total, players can enjoy a staggering 431 games.
SugarHouse Casino video poker
SugarHouse offers six video poker games, all distributed by top provider IGT (Game King).
- Jacks or Better
- Bonus Poker
- Double Bonus Poker
- Double Double Bonus Poker
- Triple Play Draw Poker
- Five Play Draw Poker
The Triple and Five play terminals allow players to choose from nine different games. The pay schedules aren’t top shelf, but still rank in the upper half among NJ online casinos.
Single line machine payouts are better, ranging from a return of just under 99 percent at the low end, to 99.54 percent for Jacks or Better.
Worth noting, is that all single line video poker games at SugarHouse Casino pay out 800 coins for a Royal Flush, regardless of denomination.
That’s good news for budget players, as is the fact that they can play any of the casino’s video poker games for a minimum of $0.10 a hand.
Blackjack at PlaySugarHouse.com
At present, there are two blackjack games. The first is IGT’s Blackjack. Players are limited to one hand at a time.
Generally speaking, Blackjack offers favorable rules, akin to those found at Atlantic City casinos:
- Naturals pay 3:2
- The dealer must stand on all 17s
- Players can double down on any two cards
- One re-split per hand allowed
- Double after split allowed
- One card dealt per split hand on split Aces
- Six decks used, shuffled after every hand
The minimum bet for Blackjack is just $0.10.
The second game is Blackjack Pro Atlantic City.
This single-hand game from NYX and is available on the desktop client only. The primary difference between Blackjack Pro AC and Blackjack is that the former allows for player surrenders. On the minus side, the game uses eight decks and only allows hands to split once.
The minimum bet for Blackjack Pro AC is $0.25, with a maximum wager of $100.
PlaySugarHouse.com Casino slots
Slots is one area where SugarHouse Casino really shines. At present, the casino boasts 398 slots.
For perspective, there’s more than half-a-dozen NJ online casinos, all of which have been in the industry since Day One or shortly thereafter, that support fewer slot games.
In terms of game variety, old standbys and Atlantic City casino floor favorites such as Davinci Diamonds and Quick Hit Platinum, coexist with flashy newcomers like Family Guy, Triple Red Hot 777, and Lobstermania 2.
Other featured titles include:
- Super Jackpot Party
- Miss Kitty
- Merlin’s Millions
- Wheel of Fortune Triple Extreme
Budget-conscious players will be pleased to note that the minimum wager required to cover all pay lines never exceeds $2, and for most slots, is $0.50 or less. And action junkies will relish in the fact that most games feature a plethora of bonus games, and dozens, if not hundreds, of pay lines.
The one nuance that appears to be missing is exclusivity, meaning that just about all of the slots found on SugarHouse Casino are available at other NJ online casinos. But for now, we’ll give SugarHouse the benefit of the doubt — after all, it just launched.
Other games at PlaySugarHouse.com
Players that preference other game types will have a few options.
First off, it offers four roulette variants:
- Double Bonus Spin Roulette
- 3 Wheel Roulette
- Roulette Master
Roulette follows European rules, meaning the wheel only has one zero. The minimum bet for this player-friendly game, and for most other roulette games, is $1 per spin.
3 Wheel Roulette, as the name implies, features three wheels and more betting options. That, and Double Bonus Spin Roulette, give players the opportunity to win 1,200 times their wager on a single spin.
Roulette Master is structurally similar to Roulette, in that there is just a single wheel and one zero. The main difference is that players can wager as little as $0.01 per spin.
There are two other table games on display at SugarHouse Casino: Three Card Poker and Let it Ride. The minimum bet for both games is $1 per hand.
The sites makes allusions to a video bingo game, but as of the time of this writing, it is not available from the game lobby. Coming soon, perhaps?
New player bonus at PlaySugarHouse.com
What you get
- Between $10 and $20 bonus cash, awarded as site credit. No deposit required.
- A 100 percent match up to $100. This bonus, and the no deposit bonus, cannot be withdrawn until you meet a 1x wagering requirement (only slots and video poker bets count).
Although SugarHouse’s welcome package is structurally similar to those touted by most other NJ online casinos, the particulars are worlds apart.
First of all, the no deposit bonus is not a set amount.
Instead, players who register with the site will receive a variable bonus, that will be worth at least $10, but as much as $20. A Prize Wheel spin determines the bonus amount.
Secondly, the welcome bonus cap, is low — quite low. Whereas most sites offer hundreds, if not over a thousand, bonus dollars to new customers, SugarHouse patrons get just $100.
The caveat — and its a big one — is that the wagering requirements to clear the bonus are just 1x, effectively rendering it a close to 100 percent cashback deal. By contrast, other sites impose much loftier requirements, ranging from 10x the bonus amount to as high as 100x on select games.
Thus, for the casual gambler, the SugarHouse Casino bonus may appeal, as meeting the clearance requirements are easy and won’t necessitate much time. And barring a horrendous run at the slots and/or tables, at least a portion of the bonus is guaranteed to clear to their cash wallet.
Also of note, SugarHouse Casino allows players to bank their bonuses for use at a later date. To our knowledge, there isn’t a single other NJ online casino that grants players the same measure of flexibility.
SugarHouse Casino VIP program
What you get
- Earn points by wagering on real-money games.
- Climb the loyalty tiers and win virtual spins on the Prize Wheel. Each spin guarantees one of 12 available prizes.
Players on SugarHouse Casino earn loyalty points in much the same manner that they do on other sites; by making wagers.
Points accrue at different rates, depending on the Return-To-Player of the game being played:
- 95% RTP: 1 point per $5 wagered.
- 97.5% RTP: 1 point per $10 wagered.
- 99% RTP: 1 point per $25 wagered.
Points are applied to a players tier status. At present, the site features ten tiers, with monthly point requirements for each tier.
- 1: 40 points
- 2: 160 points
- 3: 400 points
- 4: 760 points
- 5: 1,400 points
- 6: 2,800 points
- 7: 5,200 points
- 8: 8,800 points
- 9: 13,600 points
- 10: 20,000 points
- 10+: Contact support
Pretty familiar stuff so far. But here’s where the loyalty system diverges from the norm.
Each time players reach a new tier, up to Tier 10, they receive one spin on the site’s Prize Wheel. There, they are guaranteed a random win ranging from one to a few hundred dollars. The higher the account level, the better the odds of hitting a larger bonus.
This model stands in some contrast to traditional models that increase cashback rates more predictably, but offer much lower rates to new players. Also, SugarHouse’s variable model just feels more exciting, both aesthetically, and via the fact that players will occasionally win big bonuses.
All in all, the SugarHouse Casino loyalty program is yet another perk that should immediately appeal to the casual gambler, and at least somewhat to the hardcore crowd.
Cashiering at PlaySugarHouse.com
SugarHouse supports a massive array of depositing and withdrawal options.
Deposit options include:
- SugarHouse Prepaid Card
- Visa/MasterCard credit cards
- Online bill pay
- 7-Eleven PayNearMe
- Cash at the Golden Nugget casino cage in Atlantic City
- Wire transfer
Minimum deposits for most methods is $10, with maximums ranging from $500 to $50,000 (wire transfer only).
Worth noting is that in order to deposit via the popular ACH/eCheck method, players must first enter in a valid driver’s license number. The benefit of this request is that players are accurately provided the maximum deposit amount. On other NJ online casino sites, this isn’t always the case.
The only notable exclusion from the list is PayPal, which is currently only available on Caesars-affiliated online casino sites.
Withdrawal methods as follows:
- SugarHouse Prepaid Card
- Cash at the Golden Nugget cage
- Check by mail
Most withdrawals generally take 72 hours to approve and process, although individual cases may vary slightly.
Players that opt for a check by mail will have to wait up to 14 days to receive their funds.
SugarHouse online casino customer support
The 24/7 help designation is a bit misleading, as live chat is only available from 10 a.m. – 4 a.m. daily. Email support is round-the-clock, however.
SugarHouse also features a rather comprehensive FAQ section, featuring answers to the most common user inquiries. Registration, account, deposit, and bonus questions are all covered.
Phone support is available at (855) 752-9101.
SugarHouse online casino in NJ – background
New Jersey law mandates all online gaming sites in New Jersey must partner with one of the land-based casinos in Atlantic City.
To this end, PlaySugarHouse.com launched in conjunction with Golden Nugget Atlantic City, and is the third skin operating under GNAC’s iGaming permit – BetfairCasino.com and the eponymously named GoldenNuggetCasino.com are the other two brands.
SugarHouse Casino is one of four casinos owned and operated by Rush Street Gaming. Of note, all four of Rush Street’s casino properties are in states that are solid candidates for online gambling legalization:
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: SugarHouse Casino
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Rivers Casino
- Des Plaines (Chicago area), Illinois: Rivers Casino
- Schenectady, New York: Rivers Casino
The PlaySugarHouse.com online casino is operating on Rush Street Interactive’s proprietary online gaming software, but PlayNJ has learned that “NYX is supplying NYX casino games content to Rush Street Gaming for their current and future social casino and real money iGaming initiatives in regulated markets,” according to an NYX spokesperson.
And according to one New Jersey online player I spoke with, the PlaySugarHouse.com online casino has a unique video game look and feel to it, and seems to be targeting the younger “millennial” demographic.
What’s in it for SugarHouse?
SugarHouse Casino is one of two Pennsylvania casinos owned by Rush Street Gaming. The other is Rivers Casino in the western part of the state.
Because of its proximity to the New Jersey border, SugarHouse has a strong customer base in western New Jersey.
Additionally, with Pennsylvania expected to legalize online gambling in the near future, launching in New Jersey gives Rush Street a chance to test its RMG software in a real-world setting, and to build up a database of online customers before rolling out its product in Pennsylvania.
As Chris Grove noted in the Grove Report this week:
“With the potential opening of PA in 2017, opening in NJ now could provide Rush with a valuable leg up on at least some competitors, and the proximity of SugarHouse to much of NJ could open up solid cross-marketing opportunities in the interim. And rumored NJ IGP holder Golden Nugget can benefit by having the favor returned by Rush in PA.”
Good omen for PA online gambling?
With the launch of PlaySugarHouse.com, no fewer than three Pennsylvania casinos now have stakes in New Jersey online gambling.
Mohegan Sun, which operates Resorts Casino in Atlantic City, launched MoheganSunCasino.com in July 2015.
Mount Airy entered into a partnership agreement with 888, and has been doing some targeted marketing, both online and on property.
The willingness of these Pennsylvania operators to jump into the online gambling market in neighboring New Jersey would seem to bode well for the state’s chances of passing an online gambling bill.
What’s in it for Golden Nugget?
The addition of SugarHouse, coupled with live dealer games and the soon-to-be-launched virtual sports, has the capability of further bolstering Golden Nugget’s already strong online casino revenue numbers.
All things considered, it’s not out of the question that Golden Nugget tops the $4 million monthly revenue mark by the end of the year.
More importantly, Golden Nugget will likely receive reciprocity from Rush Street when Pennsylvania’s online gambling industry launches. Assuming the regulations allow for it, I suspect Golden Nugget will launch an online casino skin through one of Rush Street’s Pennsylvania casinos, providing Golden Nugget with an online presence in a state where it lacks a land-based property.
As more states legalize online gambling, and if interstate agreements proliferate, expanding an online brand will be crucial for operators in the US market. The more markets a company can get into early on, the better.
When it comes to casino corporations without a presence in multiple iGaming states (Golden Nugget is limited to Nevada, Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Jersey), this will require partnerships and a little tit-for-tat market access.
New games recently added to PlaySugarHouse
– Emoji Planet: An emoji-themed slot played on a 6×5 grid, which was developed by NetEnt and released in 2017. The cascading reels feature allows you to chain your wins together, which results in very satisfying combinations.
– Slingo Reel Bonus: a fairly standard 5 reel slot with 9 pay lines and colourful 2D graphics straight from Gaming Realms. The Win Spins bonus round is guaranteed to get your adrenaline pumping, as the potential payout is really big.
– Fortunes of the Dead: an enchanting yet scary slot game from Side City Studios. This one comes with colorful symbols such as male skeletons, female skeletons, skeleton dancers, skeleton horsemen, and… lots of skeletons in general. Fifty paylines and multiple ways to to get free spins and extra payouts.
– Shangri La: a magical animals-themed slot from NextGen Gaming development studio. Spinning on the reels are symbols such as armored elephants, magical rhinos, lotus flowers, Asian temples, and Chinese Dadaos. The GIRL symbol is Wild and appears on the middle three reels, substituting for other symbols and helping complete winning combinations. Wilds that take up an entire reel are available as well, along with bonus rounds and free spins. 15 total paylines.
– Riverboat Queen: designed by Everi, this slot game comes with 32 paylines spread out across nine reels. The design and effects are somewhat archaic and probably won’t serve to attract a serious fan-base. Scatter and Bonus triggers are similar to those found in games such as One Red Cent Deluxe and White Hot Progressive. Landing three Riverboat symbols on a single payline at maximum bet will award 50,000 credit bonus. Getting three Bonus symbols triggers a bonus wheel spin round, where up to 25,000 bonus credits can be won.
– Wild Wild Gems: this game is built around the popular gem theme, with symbols such as rubies, sapphires, and other glittering precious stones. 2x Rubies and Sapphire symbols are Wild and substitute for other symbols where this this creates a winning combination. Win multipliers can be triggered by landing one or two 2X Rubies symbol, and landing three of them awards the maximum 10,000 credit jackpot. A good-looking game with excellent graphics. 10 paylines in total.
– Golden Mane: released by NextGen Gaming in February 2017, Golden Mane’s theme revolves around horses and beautiful meadows, as if straight from a magical fairy tale. Landing five Wilds will automatically unlock a 1500 multiplier jackpot. Free spins and an auto-spin feature are also available. 10 paylines, 96.9% RTP.
– Fu Dao Le: the Chinese theme in this progressive jackpot slot is readily evident. Up to eight free spins can be won by landing three Gong symbols, and getting two red dragon envelopes will award the jackpot. 243 paylines.
– Charms and Witches: a spooky Halloween-themed slot game with 25 active paylines. The background image, with its haunted house and ghostly iron gates, is particularly enchanting. The Bat symbol is the Scatter and landing three or more of them anywhere will award 10 free spins, each granting double the usual winnings.
– Monopoly Bring The House Down: a new take on the wildly popular Monopoly slot. The Hot Zone Wild patterns are a novel feature that adds excitement by initiating bonus rounds, conjuring random Wilds, and allowing for slot upgrades. 40 total paylines.
- Editor’s review
- PlaySugarHouse.com NJ signup bonus week of October 17, 2017
- Ongoing short-term promotions
- SugarHouse online casino platform
- Mobile play on SugarHouse Casino
- Network partners
- Game selection at SugarHouse Casino
- PlaySugarHouse.com promotions
- SugarHouse Casino VIP program
- Cashiering at PlaySugarHouse.com
- SugarHouse online casino customer support
- SugarHouse online casino in NJ – background
- New games recently added to PlaySugarHouse