Legal online casinos in New Jersey feature some of the lowest deposit limits in the gambling industry.
In this guide for low-budget players, we compare and rank the minimum deposits at New Jersey casinos. We also detail what you can (and can’t) do with a $5 or $10 deposit and how to make the most out of a small bankroll.
Although a low deposit limit was the ranking consideration, we also cover available banking methods, welcome bonus value, security and betting limits.
Best NJ online casinos for low minimum deposits
Minimum deposits at New Jersey online casinos
Many online casinos in the Garden State have minimum deposits in the $10 to $20 range. DraftKings, however, accepts deposits as small as $5 for most banking methods.
Recreational gamblers will be happy to hear that minimum deposits don’t have any hidden requirements, nor do they constitute virtual or “play” money. We’re talking real dollars you can bet with to potentially win more real money.
If $5 to $10 doesn’t sound like much, consider that NJ online casinos feature much lower betting limits than their land-based counterparts:
- Blackjack may start at $0.10 per hand.
- Slots are as low as $0.01 per active payline.
- American roulette may start at $0.02 per spin.
Importantly, online casinos also offer welcome bonuses that can help extend the playtime of your minimum deposit. For instance, DraftKings Casino bonus features a $60 join bonus and an additional bonus when you make your first deposit of $25 plus 100% matching up to $2,000.
Remember, though, that while most NJ online casinos support payments through ACH, e-wallets, wire transfers and other channels, the minimum deposit may vary by method.
The lowest limits are generally available for credit cards, debit cards, e-wallets and bank payments. Wire transfers and checks tend to have the highest limits and may involve transaction fees.
$5 minimum deposit online casinos in NJ
The minimum deposit at DraftKings is $5 in most cases. Here are the games you can play and the minimums for doing so:
- Penny slots — $0.01 per payline
- Blackjack — $1 per hand
- Roulette — $0.10
- Poker — $0.10
- Video poker — $0.30
- Baccarat — $1
- Live dealer games — $0.10
The $5 minimum applies to all banking methods except wire transfers. Here are the deposit options:
- Credit or debit card
- Bank transfer
- Play+ card
Additionally, with DraftKings’ $60 no deposit bonus plus $25 and 100% matching for your first deposit, a minimum opening deposit of $5 will get you $95 in your account to gamble with.
$10 minimum deposit online casinos in NJ
If you’re looking to deposit $10, a good bet is Virgin Casino. Here are some of the games you can play with that much money in your account:
- Penny slots — $0.01
- Blackjack — $0.50
- Roulette — $0.10
- Video poker — $0.20
- Baccarat — $1
New players who use the Virgin promo code 30BUCKS during account creation will receive $30 in their account to start, along with a loss refund of up to $100. Here are the banking options:
- Credit card
- Debit card
Here are some other New Jersey casinos with a $10 minimum deposit:
$20 minimum deposit online casinos in NJ
We recommend Caesars among online casinos with minimum deposits of $20. Beyond the name recognition, you’re looking at a site with a variety of promotions, hundreds of slots, and dozens of table games and live dealer titles.
You also will have access to Caesars Rewards to receive bonuses for playing games. If you have $20 in your account and are looking to maximize your play, you can try the following games with low minimum wagers:
- Penny slots — $0.01
- Blackjack — $0.10
- Roulette — $0.10
- Video poker — $0.10
- Baccarat — $0.10
Sign up with Caesars promo code FREEC10 for a 100% matching bonus up to $200 on your first deposit. Your minimum of $20 will still get you a bonus. Here are your options for making a deposit:
- Credit/debit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover)
- VIP Preferred
- Online banking (PayWithMyBank)
- Prepaid Play+ card
- Cash at the casino cage
Other NJ online casinos with minimum deposits of $20 include the following:
- Hard Rock
Online casino bonuses and minimum deposits
Making a minimum deposit will qualify you for most welcome bonuses available at New Jersey online casinos. In fact, you may not need to make a deposit at all if the casino offers a no deposit bonus. Golden Nugget Casino is a noteworthy exception. Although the casino features a $10 minimum, you’ll need to deposit at least $30 or more to claim the Golden Nugget welcome bonus.
Minimum deposits can be an issue when enrolling in redeposit promotions, which sometimes require depositing closer to $50. However, in that case, you’ll also receive a larger deposit-match bonus, helping offset some of the risk of putting more money on the line.
Depositing the smallest amount at NJ minimum deposit casinos has both advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of minimum deposits:
- A low-risk way to start gambling online.
- Can play most games regardless of your budget.
- Sufficient for activating most welcome promotions and some redeposit bonuses.
- Better risk management.
- A good way to try gambling for real money online before committing serious funds.
Disadvantages of minimum deposits:
- Won’t get maximum value out of deposit matching bonuses.
- Insufficient funds for some live dealer games and some progressive jackpot slots.
- Transaction fees for some banking methods will constitute a larger percentage of your transaction.
- Variance in high-volatility slots may eat away your bankroll very quickly.
- Unlike high-rollers, low-rollers don’t receive VIP treatment or access to special events and tournaments.
Playthrough requirements and minimum deposits
Online casino bonuses are subject to conditions, the most important of which is the playthrough or wagering requirement. This requirement, listed as a multiplier, indicates how many times you must play through either the amount of your bonus or your deposit plus bonus before you can request a withdrawal.
Let’s demonstrate using DraftKings, which has a 15x playthrough requirement on the deposit plus the matching bonus:
- You deposit $5 at DraftKings.
- You receive $90 in bonus funds ($60 plus $25 plus $5). Combined with your initial deposit, that’s $95 in total.
- Bet $1,425 ($95 x 15) to unlock your funds for withdrawal.
To maximize your odds of completing the playthrough without depleting your bankroll, try to stick to games with higher return-to-player rates and low volatility. However, note that in many cases, wagers on higher RTP games like blackjack and video poker will contribute a lower percentage of the total bet to meeting the requirement.
Keep in mind that most online casinos also have withdrawal limits, which vary by banking method. For example, the minimum withdrawal at DraftKings is $20, while the maximum is $60,000 for PayPal, $50,000 for check and $100,000 for online banking. Withdrawals usually take one to five days.
Here are some other common bonus terms and conditions:
- Expiration date: You may have between 14 and 30 days to claim your bonus or meet applicable wagering requirements. Now would be an excellent time to dust off your calendar.
- Reduced playthrough: As mentioned, different games may contribute a lower percentage of your wagers toward meeting the playthrough requirement. Slots usually contribute 100%, while video poker and table games are often limited to 25% to 50%. Generally, the lower the RTP, the higher the contribution.
- Restricted banking methods: E-wallets Skrill and Neteller are often excluded from deposit promotions.
- Maximum bet: Indicates the maximum bet size that qualifies toward meeting playthrough requirements.
While those are the main points, it’s still a good idea to read the terms and conditions of a promotion to avoid accidentally voiding your bonus funds.
Is there a downside to minimum deposits?
When managing your bankroll and depositing the lowest amount at a minimum deposit casino, there are a few disadvantages that could hamper your ability to play in comparison to others who add more to their accounts.
First, you may notice that, in the normal cadence of gameplay, there are lulls and upswings as you wager. If your bankroll is limited, you may not be able to take advantage of the upswings as much as you normally could.
When it comes to bonuses like first deposit bonuses or risk-free gameplay, the initial deposit influences the amount of your bonus. If you get a 100% matching bonus on your deposit but only deposit $20, that’s what you’ll get as a bonus. However, with a small deposit, you don’t have as much of a wagering requirement to overcome.
If you use a banking method that charges a transaction fee as a percentage, it could take a larger chunk out of your initial deposit in comparison to depositing a bigger amount.
Weigh these pros and cons when you are looking to establish a set amount of money to deposit.