Launched in July 2015, Mohegan Sun is the sister site of Resorts Online Casino. Both online casinos share the same land-based partner and software platform, which means that they’re very similar in terms of visuals, layout, and game selection.
From a player’s perspective, the chief difference between the two lies in available bonuses and VIP program structure.
Mohegan Sun Online Casino Review
- Casino Bonus
- Game Selection
Mohegan Sun gives you access to an amazing game library, but the casino’s mediocre deposit bonus and disappointing cashback prevent it from realizing its full potential. On a brighter note, the software is definitely state of the art. And If you’re planning to bet on the go, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a mobile casino app that performs significantly better.
Mohegan Sun Casino is operated by the Mohegan Tribal Gambling Authority. It’s local partner in New Jersey is Resorts Casino Hotel, which is owned by DGMB Casinos, a limited liability company based in Delaware.
What you get
- Exclusive offer: $20 free with no deposit available only to our readers (5x wager requirement – use code MAXBONUS)
- 100% match up to $1,000 with a 20x wagering requirement.
$20 free at Mohegan Sun
The $20 no-deposit bonus has a much better 5x wagering requirement. To take advantage of this bonus simply enter the MAXBONUS promo code when creating your Mohegan Sun casino account.
The money should be added to your bankroll as soon as your identity is confirmed by the casino staff, which typically takes less than 48 hours.
100% up to $1,000 first deposit bonus
All things considered, $1,000 is a lot of cash for New Jersey casino standards, but the 20x wagering requirement makes it somewhat tricky to capitalize on the opportunity it presents. This requirement means that if you deposit $1,000, you must wager 20 x $1,000 = $20,000 in order to request a withdrawal.
Please keep in mind that low-volatility games, such as video poker and other table games, contribute only a fifth of all wagers made. This means that if you want to clear the full $1,000 bonus by playing blackjack, roulette, or deuces wild, you’ll have to wager $100,000.
Most players won’t be able to meet this requirement, but the ones who do will typically do it one of two ways: either by picking a slot game with a high payout percentage, such as Davinci’s Diamonds, or by going for the lowest volatility blackjack or video poker game and slowly grinding it out, utilizing the 99 percent or more payout percentage to their advantage.
Both strategies are perfectly valid, but we strongly advise against attempting to clear the bonus through wagers made on any roulette variant. This is due to the game’s low percentage contribution toward meeting wagering requirements.
|Casino Name||Mohegan Sun Casino|
|Opening Bonus Amount With Code||100% Deposit Match Up To $1,000|
|Opening Bonus Amount Without Code||$0|
|Atlantic City Casino Partner||Resorts AC|
|IGP Permit Number||NJIGP 16-008|
Mohegan Sun Online Casino software
Mohegan Sun Casino’s software is supplied by NYX Gaming, a well-known and reputable company specializing in designing real money games and online casino solutions. NYX software is used by more than 200 casinos and other gambling sites from Europe, America, and Asia due to its reliability, customizability, and high production value.
The best part about NYX’s casino package is the fact that it’s 100 percent compatible with all the latest casino releases from industry titans, such as IGT, NetEnt, AristoCrat, and even Williams Gaming. Players who want to give these games a spin can choose from one of two options:
Both PC and Mac provide access to the full library of Mohegan Sun’s NJ online casino games. The client isn’t available for download and requires a compatible web browser, such as Google Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, or Safari.
The browser must be equipped with the latest Adobe Flash plugin, which is required to load all games, as well as a special geo-location plugin, which is obligatory under New Jersey gaming laws.
The geo-location plugin will be automatically downloaded when attempting to launch a real money game for the first time.
Mobile play on Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun’s mobile app is a special treat for players who enjoy placing bets on the go. The application supports 200 casino games, including slots, roulette, blackjack, and video poker.
The app is available for download through both iTunes and in the Google Play Store, but it’s worth pointing out that hardware requirements are fairly steep. This shouldn’t come as a surprise, as Mohegan’s app is frequently updated.
Version 2.2 was released in July 2017, which means that a new patch is likely to be released in early 2018.
Playing real money games through the online app requires a decent internet connection – 512 kb/s should be fine, as long as it’s stable. You also have to be physically located within the borders of New Jersey. If you cross the border while playing, your gaming session will be terminated instantly.
Mohegan Sun shares its NJ online gambling license with Resorts Casino and PokerStars, with Resorts Casino Hotel acting as the land-based anchor in the Garden State for the entire trio.
If that name rings a bell, that’s probably because Resorts became the first legal gambling venue opened in the United States outside of Nevada. This took place in 1978.
Today, Resorts is shaping gambling history, leading the charge when it comes to the burgeoning real money gaming industry in New Jersey. The beginnings of this venture were really humble, however, considering Resorts was struggling with serious financial difficulties as recently as in 2012.
These difficulties pushed it to sign a partnership deal with Mohegan Sun, a massive tribal casino located in Connecticut.
This partnership allowed Mohegan Sun to enter the regulated New Jersey gambling market quite early on – MoheganSunCasino.com became available to NJ residents in July 2015, five months after the launch of ResortsCasino.com.
The Stars Group joined the party in 2016, adding the world-famous PokerStars brand to this already-strong business alliance.
Unsurprisingly, all involved parties benefited greatly from these deals. PokerStars quickly became the #1 online poker operator in New Jersey, while both Mohegan Sun and Resorts secured a significant chunk of the local internet casino market.
What games are available at MoheganSun.com?
Mohegan Sun is one of the three regulated NJ online casinos that spread more than 400 games, the other two being Resorts Casino and Golden Nugget online casino. All the other sites, including Caesars Online Casino and SugarHouse, are currently playing in a lower league.
And considering Mohegan Sun’s game library is updated on a regular basis, we don’t expect this state of affairs to change anytime soon.
Mohegan Sun casino video poker
Mohegan Sun gives you access to 19 video poker titles, most coming from IGT’s stable. The complete list looks as follows:
- Deuces Wild, Deuces Wild Elite
- Jacks or Better (available in two variants)
- Bonus Poker, Double Bonus Poker, and two variants of Double Double Bonus Poker
- Regal Poker, Regal Poker Deluxe, Double Regal Poker, Double Double Regal Poker
- Triple Play Draw Poker, Five Play Draw Poker
- Tens or Better
- Aces & Faces Power Poker
- 100 Hand All American
- Jester Poker
For most games, the payout percentage does not exceed 99 percent. However, there is one exception to this rule, which all casino enthusiasts who frequent sites with IGT games should recognize.
The game in question is Jacks or Better – its 99.54 percent RTP arguably makes it the most profitable game on the site.
Blackjack at MoheganSunCasino.com
At Mohegan Sun Casino you can test your luck in seven blackjack games:
- Blackjack (two versions)
- Micro Limit Blackjack (two versions)
- Vegas Blackjack
- Atlantic City Blackjack (two versions)
If you’re looking for an authentic land-based casino experience, make sure to check out IGN’s or NetEnt’s basic blackjack game. Some highlights include:
- Dealer stand on hard 17
- Naturals always pay 3:2
- No re-splitting of aces
- Game is played with six decks, which are re-shuffled after each hand.
Other variants may differ in terms of the number of decks in play, dealers behavior on hitting 17, and other important details.
So if you’re interested in maximizing your winnings, make sure to study each rule-set carefully and determine which of the games best suits your play-style.
Slots are Mohegan Sun Casino’s strongest suit. The site spreads 409 titles, slightly less than Resorts Casino (419) and Golden Nugget (410). Most NJ-friendly sites give you access to less than 300 titles, so if you’re looking for variety, you’re guaranteed to find it here.
Standard five-reel slots with 20 paylines, slots with hundreds of paylines, slots with three reels, slots with cool bonuses, slots with expanding reel — Mohegan has it all.
The list of game developers supported by Mohegan Sun includes Aristrocrat, NetEnt, IGT, SG Gaming, and Williams Interactive, to name a few. The majority of titles are visually appealing and similar in quality to what you would expect in a modern land-based casino.
As of December 2017, the games that are most popular among Mohegan Sun customers include:
- Blood Suckers II
- Vampires vs Werewolves
- Legend of the Pharaoh (new!)
- Irish Eyes 2
- Pixies of the Forest (high payout percentage!)
Other games at MoheganSunCasino.com
Aside from blackjack, Mohegan Sun also gives you access to two draw poker games and one variant of baccarat.
If you enjoy roulette, there are eight games to choose from:
- Classic Roulette
- American Roulette
- Two variants of European Roulette
- Roulette Master
- 3 Wheel Roulette
- Double Bonus Spin Roulette
You are free to choose between American and European roulette. For ROI-minded gamblers, we always recommend sticking with the European variant because the additional zero spot that appears on the wheel in the American version increases your odds of losing a bet 2.70 percent to 5.26 percent.
Mohegan Sun also offers seven scratcher games, such as Medusa and Witch Pickings, as well as the completely new Slingo games, which combine some slot features with classic bingo. Slingo games are currently listed under the Slots category.
Mohegan Sun Casino VIP program
What you get
- Earn Elevate Points by betting on real money games and increase your loyalty level.
- Redeem your points for cash. This essentially amounts to a simple cashback plan.
- Your loyalty level will reset every month.
The loyalty points you earn at Mohegan Sun are called Elevate Points (EPs). EPs are accrued at the following rates:
- Slots: 1 EP per $2 wagered
- Roulette: 1 EP per $4 wagered
- Table games and video poker: 1 EP per $8 wagered
Points accumulated by a player during a calendar month set their loyalty level for the next month.
Mohegan Sun Casino’s loyalty ladder has nine levels – these are listed below, along with Elevate Point requirements and cash conversion rates:
- Storm – 0 points – 4,000 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.03%)
- Thunder – 1,000 points – 2,500 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.04%)
- Lightning – 5,000 points – 1,000 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.10%)
- Spark – 20,000 points – 606 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.17%)
- Flash – 50,000 points – 500 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.20%)
- Flare – 150,000 points – 400 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.25%)
- Wildfire – 400,000 points – 200 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.50%)
- Heat – 1,000,000 points – 167 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.60%)
- Blaze – 2,000,000 points – 133 EPs per $1 (cashback as a return on slot wagers: 0.75%)
In a rather obvious effort to motivate players to play higher-volatility slots, the actual return on your wagers is significantly lower if you play other games. Here’s what a “Spark” player can expect:
- Slots – 0.17% cashback on wagers
- Blackjack, video poker – 0.04% cashback on wagers
- Roulette – 0.02% cashback on wagers
Things are really terrible for a Storm-level player:
- Slots – 0.03% cashback on wagers
- Blackjack, video poker – 0.01% cashback on wagers
- Roulette – 0.00% cashback on wagers
Mohegan Sun’s loyalty program is geared toward high-rollers and isn’t of much use to recreational players. A best-case scenario from a casual gambler’s perspective is one where they attempt to clear their welcome bonus funds in the span of a single month and exclusively through slots play.
In such a case, the VIP program will add a bit of nice extra cash.
Cashiering at MoheganSun.com
Mohegan Sun Casino offers plenty of cashiering methods to choose from, but in all honesty, you’re probably better off sticking to PayPal, online bank transfers, and eChecks.
- PayPal: Fast and reliable.
- ResortsCard: Fast and reliable (Most NJ casinos offer their own Discover prepaid cards these days.)
- Online Bank Transfer: Fast and reliable.
- PayNearMe: You can fund your bankroll at your local 7-Eleven.
- Casino cage: You can make a deposit at the Resorts Casino Hotel casino cage.
- Visa/MasterCard: Unreliable with high transaction rejection rates.
- eCheck: Unreliable. Not as high a rejection rate as with credit card payments, but you’ll be forced to cover all transaction fees if a payment does not go through.
- PayPal: Only available if you used it to make a deposit earlier.
- ResortsCard: You can use your Discover card to do some shopping or move the money to your bank account.
- eCheck: As with PayPal, this cash-out method is only if used earlier to make a deposit.
- Casino cage: Withdrawals are also available at the Resorts Casino Hotel casino cage.
All payments are processed immediately. Cashing out usually takes up to 48 hours. The casino may ask for proof of identity.
Mohegan Sun Online Casino support
Customer support is available around the clock. You can contact support via a toll-free phone number, live chat, or e-mail. Here are the contact details:
- Phone – 1-844-990-4263
- On-site chat can be accessed by using the icon in the bottom-right corner of the casino’s website
- Email – [email protected]
The site also has an FAQ section. However, most answers are superficial and, in some cases, flat out wrong. We therefore recommend avoiding this section altogether.
Mohegan Sun Online NJ– Background
About Mohegan Sun Casino
Located in Connecticut, Mohegan Sun is one of the largest brick and mortar casinos in the United States. Its owner, the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority, has been planning an expansion beyond the borders of the Nutmeg State for years.
It should therefore come as no surprise that they didn’t pass on an opportunity to team up with the Stars Group and Resorts Digital Gaming. By the end of 2016, Mohegan Sun and its partners had managed to build a small iGaming empire in the Garden State.
What’s in it for Mohegan Sun?
Mohegan Sun was already invested in the New Jersey gambling market due to its 2012 partnership deal with Resorts Casino, so launching an online casino site there was simply a natural progression. The various cross-marketing deals give both companies more exposure, allowing them to increase their presence in both New Jersey and Connecticut.